general question about win32 port
ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Oct 26 22:57:55 BST 2005
currently there are some people working on the bksys build system for a win32
port of KDE. I'm working personally on the mingw port using the official qt4
gpled port for windows. Others are working on an MS Visual C++ port using the
QT4 extension from qtwin.sf.net.
In the past a win32 port was discussed very controversial (I remember a long
blog thread of Aaron Seigo, a zdnet.uk interview I had and several other
threads). In the last time i see more and more, that people and companies
like this idea (as for example Aaron has reported) .
Because this port enters a new level for KDE, I (and probably other) like to
be prepared best for this way in legal and other issues.
Relating to this I have some question:
1. what the KDE people think about the state the win32 port has
- full integrated into the present kde community protected by the KDE e.V.
- partial integrated (topics has to be defined)
- not integrated, full independent project without any support and/or
relation in any way
depending on topic 1, there are additional topics:
2. where to place public informations about this port (like porting state,
how-tos and so on)
- integrated into KDE website
- separate website like www.kdelibs.com or kde-windows.sf.net or so
3. using kde bug reporting system (I remember for kde-cygwin people sends bug
to the kde bug system and got mainly negative feedback)
- better use a separate bugtracking system
4. where to place download area
- main kde mirrors
- independent mirror system
5. mailing list
- already set up kde-windows at kde.org
More information about the kde-core-devel