KDE system guard

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Tue Oct 11 13:40:04 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 11. Oktober 2005 14:31, schrieb Frans Englich:
> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 10:56, David Faure wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 October 2005 14:48, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > Then I would like to propose moving ksysguard to kdeutils.  ksysguard
> > > is neither an application that other applications depend upon (apps/)
> > > nor is it an application that makes up the desktop (workspace/).
> >
> > IIRC it's in kdebase (the "workspace" part of it) because of the
> > desktop-wide shortcut to bring it up (Ctrl+Esc). It's almost like it's
> > part of the window manager except that it's a separate binary; in that
> > sense it makes up the desktop too.
>
> I can understand if it is deemed that the KDE desktop needs basic
> functionality for viewing/terminating processes and get an overview of
> system behavior.
>
> However, KSysGuard isn't that. It allows you to connect to different hosts,
> find out useful information such as VmRss & VmSize(which all users know
> what is), and do spectacular plottings of system behavior. It's a geek's
> wet dream. Considering KDE's wide audience, I would say it has a lot of
> functionality irrelevant for the typical user. For a start, because he/she
> doesn't understand it.
>
> Perhaps a solution is to create a "small" KSysGuard for the workspace that
> have what the average users needs.[1] It could be a dialog window with two
> tabs, for example. In addition, the full blown KSysGuard app could be in
> one of the packages, available for those who need all the bells and
> whistles.
>
> I think some of the same advantages would be reached as for why Benjamin
> suggested moving out KSysGuard, but in the same time solve why it now has
> to stay.

FWIW I agree.

> 1.
> This could be achieved with splitting KSysGuard into a library and two
> frontends.

A solution should also take into consideration the sensors/monitors of the
plasma thingie (old Superkaramba plugins and KSim) and build a broader
framework from this. Basic plugins (processes, memory, whatelse you think is
basic) and a ctrl-esc-style app would stay, the rest could be moved to
kdeutils/extragear/addons/whereever...

Regards
Friedrich