KDE system guard

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Tue Oct 11 13:31:00 BST 2005

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 10:56, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 14:48, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > Then I would like to propose moving ksysguard to kdeutils.  ksysguard is
> > neither an application that other applications depend upon (apps/) nor is
> > it an application that makes up the desktop (workspace/).
>
> IIRC it's in kdebase (the "workspace" part of it) because of the
> desktop-wide shortcut to bring it up (Ctrl+Esc). It's almost like it's part
> of the window manager except that it's a separate binary; in that sense it
> makes up the desktop too.

I can understand if it is deemed that the KDE desktop needs basic
functionality for viewing/terminating processes and get an overview of system
behavior.

However, KSysGuard isn't that. It allows you to connect to different hosts,
find out useful information such as VmRss & VmSize(which all users know what
is), and do spectacular plottings of system behavior. It's a geek's wet
dream. Considering KDE's wide audience, I would say it has a lot of
functionality irrelevant for the typical user. For a start, because he/she
doesn't understand it.

Perhaps a solution is to create a "small" KSysGuard for the workspace that
have what the average users needs.[1] It could be a dialog window with two
tabs, for example. In addition, the full blown KSysGuard app could be in one
of the packages, available for those who need all the bells and whistles.

I think some of the same advantages would be reached as for why Benjamin
suggested moving out KSysGuard, but in the same time solve why it now has to
stay.

(No, can't hack on it now..)

Cheers,

		Frans

1.
This could be achieved with splitting KSysGuard into a library and two
frontends.