D pointers

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Sun Oct 2 17:58:05 BST 2005

On Sunday 02 October 2005 18:57, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Sunday 02 October 2005 09:35, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > That having said, I for sure don't want to see a script output somewhere
> > somewhen checking. But I will review new kdelibs code for over-using of
> > inline functions (as we did in the past with d pointers).
>
> Ok, if the policy is "Avoid inline functions", than that's ok, because it
> really makes sense because it makes the code more extensible.

The problem of inline functions is that you cannot correct them. If the bug is
in previous version, it will remain in already compiled software, as only
newly compiled software could use the changed inline function.

That is quite a problem in KDE 3 where constructors and destructors of many
classes are inlined, so that you cannot add the creation (by new) and
destruction (by delete) of the d pointer, making the whole d pointer stuff
totally useless fot such a class.

(...)

Have a nice day!