KAction port: do we need to support multiple shortcuts per action?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Nov 29 15:11:53 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 16:05, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> Trolltech considered supporting multiple shortcuts when they were writing Qt4,
> but decided against it, due to the complexity it would cause and because it
> was thought to be bad usability wise.

Well it works in KDE, and it has worked for a long time...

> In KDE, multiple shortcuts are the default for cut/copy/paste, as well as
> occasionally in other places (but are certainly not the norm).

Yes, they are certainly useful for cut/copy/paste.

> My questions are:
>
> 1) Do people agree with the assessment that multiple shortcuts per action is
> bad for usability?

??? I certainly don't agree with that.
Half the users use Ctrl+C, the other half uses Ctrl+Insert, I'd say that on the contrary
it's bad for usability if multiple shortcuts are NOT supported.

> 2) Will we need a way to support multiple shortcuts in KDE4?

I have really mixed feelings about this QAction stuff...