The future of KAction

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Mon Nov 21 18:00:17 GMT 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 08:19, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> To me it seems easier and cleaner by letting kdevelop not provide those
> placeholders (action groups) in the first place and making sure kate uses
> the same groups as kdevelop. You will have to talk to the kate developers,
> I see no way around it. But I heard they're friendly people :)
In any case (xmlgui or GuiEditor) we will.

> With blacklisting you have to adjust kdevelop to the latest kate version to
> make sure the integration looks nice and with whitelisting you potentially
> miss new actions kate adds in a new release. You sure could have both. For
> 'approved' editors in the right version kdevelop could just use their GUI
> and otherwise (unknown editor) it could pick the most common actions itself
> and add them to the menus where you want them.
Exactly. I don't want to use action filter as an usual mechanism for GUI
building and filtering. Groups are fine. I just want to have a "last resort"
for things that we can't immediately change in plugins and components.

> With an event filter I think you're likely to end up with a gigantic ugly
> function after a few releases that tries to look for actions with all sorts
> of different names. Do you really want that? :)
I'd really want to avoid it but I know I will need it ;)