non-technical problem [Re: Qt->glib main event loop patch (common main loop)]

Matthias Ettrich ettrich at trolltech.com
Wed Nov 16 11:45:06 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 18:38, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Martin Konold wrote:
> >> It's mapped into virtual memory, only the pages that get actually used
> >> are mapped into physical memory.
> >
> >In contrast to what most people (incl. kernel and glibc people) claim
> > the mapping is not entirely free.
>
> No, not really. If a page has not been faulted in, it hasn't been mapped
> to physical memory yet and does not occupy buffers or cache (it may
> already be in cache, but that's another story).
[...]

There's a bigger problem, and it's not technical. Glib is LGPL, which means we
can't make Qt/X11 depend on it :-/  I can support it as a compile time
option, but not as default. This kind of defeats the purpose of bringing us
closer to a more integrated free desktop on GNU/Linux.

A little fd.o event loop library written in C would be perfect (and a patched
Glib that uses it).  It can be modelled closely after the Glib event loop
model, like D-Bus was modelled after the DCOP model. Maybe it's also possible
to extract the code from Glib and relicense it (depends on who owns the
copyright)? Anyone up to the challenge?

 Matthias