Qt->glib main event loop patch (common main loop)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 15 00:16:40 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 15:56, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> How much does Glib's event loop depend on the rest of Glib? Maybe  a

i was actually looking at this today and the answer is "quite a bit".

but with some work it could be made better. e.g. the event loop probably
shouldn't use gerror (since that won't help with allocation related errors;
instead we should probably do more like dbus here and not do any malloc()s on
error reporting), and if we don't need the threading then we can remove the
requirement of gthread

removing gerror removes the need for gstring

removing gthread removes the need the collection related functions (glist,
etc). the threading is not needed if the event loop is PER thread, e.g. you
aren't hooking the event loop up across threads (creating a new event loop in
a new thread is just fine, apparently). if we keep gthread in there then we
will have some colletion related requirements.

so it seems after looking through it and playing with its compilation for a
couple hours today that there's a lot of glib that is unnecessary to a
properly abstracted glib event loop. and gobject, et al is already in another
lib.

(note: i should probably thank federico a bit here as he answered a number of
questions i had as i went along on irc.gimp.org; though the person we really
need to talk to is owen, who wrote the event loop.)

--
Aaron J. Seigo