Qt->glib main event loop patch (common main loop)

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Mon Nov 14 22:33:08 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 16:35, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > there needs to be a ballance struck, however.
> >
> > There is no reason to compromise on freedom.
>
> as long as we don't confuse "freedom" for "a lack of direction is OK".
> unfortunately, that's exactly where it has currently led us (and not just
> KDE). we have in the past used "freedom" as a friendly word that is hard
> for people to argue against (who wants to be anti-freedom?) when what we
> really mean is "we are inable to make decisions" or "it's ok not to serve
> our user's needs because at least this way we aren't making any demands
> whatsover on any system outside of KDE".
>
> we offer, and will continue to offer, lots on the freedom front. and if we
> want to continue making this whole "free software desktop" a viable
> concept, we will need to at some point start saying things like "no, a 5
> year old X server is not good enough" or "yes, you DO need kernel hooks to
> let us know when things are plugged into the machine" or "no, it isn't ok
> to have N event loop implementations because that's just stupid" or "here's
> a way to get your app to use our file dialog (and vice versa) and everyone
> should use it"

Well said.

Indeed, a lot of programming with KDE in my experience has been that when a
programmer gives up some freedom, and does things "the KDE way", that he gets
a lot of freebies that juice up the program.  This is one of the things that
distinguishes KDE from the all the competition I think.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne