KDE (vs GNOME)

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Mon Nov 14 18:47:31 GMT 2005

Am Montag, 14. November 2005 06:16 schrieb Don Sanders:
> I'm definitely talking about scriptability.

A rich scripting API would be nice indeed.

> IMO it would be nice to
> use XML-GUI for the various context menus, and to have a scripting
> API rich enough so that that the existing context menu actions could
> be implemented using that scripting API.

With the emphasis on *could*. Not that it should actually be done. We wouldn't
like KDE become Mozilla-like bloatware.

> Also it would be nice if
> mainwindow menu actions like remove duplicates could be implemented
> with that API.

As long as scripting is purely used for *custom* and third-party extensions,
it's ok. Starting to reimplement large parts of KDE itself in a scripting
language will prove eventually detrimental in terms of efficiency and
stability.

I also warn about "base" applications that ought to be extended by
(third-party) extensions. The "base" applications are usually not usable on
their own, and the extensions do not undergo the same thorough QA procedures
like the base.

mfg
	Leo