Proposed new KDateTime class

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Mon Nov 14 01:31:49 GMT 2005

On Friday 11 Nov 2005 15:14, Michaƫl Larouche wrote:
> David Jarvie wrote:

> >> Do you plan something like QDateTime::toString and QDateTime::fromString
> >> for ISO dates, including time zone handling?
> >>
> >> (Also, I am not sure how flexible such functions need to be, I would
> >> need such them for KBabel saving and loading Gettext PO files.)
> >
> > Yes, it would be a good idea. There would need to be an extension to the
> > format codes to be able to specify where and in what format the time zone
> > should appear. I suggest that the default format would append the
> > abbreviated code for the time zone to the end of the string.
>
> A support of GLIBC time formatting
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Formatting-Calendar-Time
>.html#Formatting-Calendar-Time) like the one used in strftime()  would be a
> nice addition to this class.

There seems to be a choice between supporting GLIBC time formatting (with %
codes) and supporting an extension of the QDateTime::toString() formatting
(with codes which don't use %). Probably GLIBC formats are clearer, and they
already provide codes for time zones. But QDateTime formats provide better
compatibility with the QDateTime class. Both format styles could be
supported, but I doubt whether that would really be desirable. What are
people's preferences?

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.