Qt->glib main event loop patch (common main loop)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 13 20:48:25 GMT 2005

On Sunday 13 November 2005 12:12, David Johnson wrote:
> On Sunday 13 November 2005 10:48 am, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > The Unix desktop is a mess.
>
> That's because we have all this inconvenient freedom and choice getting
> in the way.

there needs to be a ballance struck, however.

freedom and choice is good until it becomes an excuse to not cooperate on
issues that are so obviously in everyone's best interests to do so. likewise
i see it used as an excuse to not touch the underlying OS more than
absolutely necessary.

i personally used to be of the opinion that we *couldn't* do much below the
desktop layer so everything must be fixed above it.

over the last couple of years i've slowly swayed to thinking that we can't
afford NOT to reach down further into the stack and get our hands dirty with
things lower in the OS stack. this includes hardware integration, X
improvements, etc. i think Trolltech is taking a nice lead here with some of
their investments. we (the KDE project) ought IMHO to be a bit more
aggressive with these things as well, though. RUDI is one possible step,
Kevin's hardware layer that he's been working on for KDE4 is another
important step, plasma's use of newer X.org features will be another.

this is getting a bit off topic from event loops, but i think the event loop
issue is an interesting triviality that we ought to Just Fix (but smartly,
not stupidly) and move on with.

--
Aaron J. Seigo