KDE (vs GNOME)

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Sun Nov 13 13:06:32 GMT 2005

On Saturday 12 November 2005 19:15, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Saturday 12 November 2005 9:03 am, Martin Konold wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 11. November 2005 22:49 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > The virtual (search) folders in KMail are quite nice.
> >
> > They are unfortunately for real world use totally useless :-(
> >
> > The reason is that they use 100% CPU and 80% IO after the initial
> > population. So e.g. having two search folders makes Kontact unusable.
> >
> > Regards,
> > -- martin
>
> I was going to say that they are real world useless because to create new
> search folders you have to do something completely different then what you
> think you should do.  I think I should be able to right click, or click
> some "add search folder", instead you have to open the Find Messages dialog
> and after you create the search, *then* search and *then* rename the
> "Search Folder Name" it magically appears in the folder listings.

Btw, has anybody actually thought of getting rid of the search dialog?
I mean, if you select the Search Results root folder, what do you get to see?
A huge amount of free space a.k.a. KMail introduction.
Perhaps this could be used to make searching more straightforward.

My reasoning is:
1. When defining a search, you don't need to have your mail directly available
2. Less open windows make for a better overview
3. Let's get the search dialog into the main window!

The only thing that has to be done is making sure that the search area isn't
cut off by the window borders and has to be scrolled.

Then, when you have pressed search, the search results show up like in a real
folder, not in the "crappy" compromise search result list from the search
dialog. That would make a search folder out of every search, and you can
easily browse, filter, and what not, without the need of explicitly creating
a search folder.

The only thing that would be different are two additional buttons, namely:
- Refine Search, and
- Close Search Results
where the former returns to the search area and the latter
deletes the search folder and returns to where the user originally came from.

Would that be an appropriate solution for search folder ease of use?
(Of course, stuff like CPU overhead is not addressed here.)

'xcuse me for not holding back, I just had to write that now.

P.S.: When KMail is done, I could as well extend my dialog-in-mainwindow
approach to configuration dialogs, other KDE apps, and what not...