KDE (vs GNOME)

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 03:44:33 GMT 2005

> The other problem is that you are likely to obtain skewed statistics, from a
> group of advanced users anyway - those that send back the monitoring data.

That did occur to me.  I don't think that feedback from an unknown
community will be much help.  If we could enlist some help to get
feedback from a known group (eg. "20 KDE installations at a primary
school in country X" or "10 KDE workstations at a government office in
city Y using PCs mainly for Z"), that would be useful.

> This does not mean I do not cut copy or paste, or that I do not send out
> letters, just that I use other means to achieve the same result. So how do we
> decide which icons have to stay in this case?

As I understand it, the same KAction object is responsible for
handling menu icons, toolbar icons and keyboard accelerators, so this
would not be a problem.  In fact, looking at the usagemonitor
programme Richard wrote, both keyboard shortcuts and toolbar
selections are logged.

> More seriously: I wrote a tool that lets you measure how much the
> different actions get used, see http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/376
> why not actually measure this stuff rather than guess?

That is exactly what I am after, it is amazing how many useful things
are hidden away inside extragear and kdenonbeta.