KDE (vs GNOME)

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Thu Nov 10 19:48:19 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 12:04, Vinay Khaitan wrote:
> The reason is that,  Options and expertness has no direct necessary
> correlation, whereas "need" has more closer relations with expected
> Options. and because of diverse world, needs of the users varies very much
> even for novice users.
> So hiding options according to "expertness" is bad.

Exactly.
I also think that some options shall be moved from the main area in the
configuration dialog to a sub-level dialog section, but "advanced" is the
wrong word for those options.

We should better use something like "rarely used options", which describes why
those option have been put in a second level, and this has absolutely nothing
to do with the skill of the user!

And it reflects the reality: Some options are not needed for doing the main
tasks, but are here to fine-tune some aspects of a program (maybe "fine tune"
might also be another good word for such a sub-section in a dialog).

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

Computers and Internet gave you freedom.
TCPA would TAKE your FREEDOM!  http://www.againsttcpa.com