KDE (vs GNOME)

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 13:27:21 GMT 2005

> First, the Outlook interface
> has got to be one of the most complicated UI I have ever seen,
> rivalling even xfig. I counted 64 operable controls on the main window,
> and that was with the message pain hidden!

I don't think that Outlook is a typical example.  Even Microsoft
evangelist Paul Thurott ( Webmaster of winsupersite.com and
wininformant.com) commented that the Outlook UI is terrible.
Personally I don't think that Outlook is popular on its own merit, but
rather because it comes with Word, Excel and PowerPoint, which are
very good applications for the most part.

Usability is important because the software, whatever its technical
merit, is worthless if very few people can actually use it to perform
the task it was written to solve.

Back to the main topic, I like the idea of simplifying Konqueror to
make it easier for everyone to use, but before we do that, I think
some proper research needs to be conducted into how people actually
use the program at the moment - in other words, some sort of
functionality within Konqueror to record how people use it (menu
selections made etc.)  In fact, I think this would be useful within
KDE as a whole.  (Optional of course, with easy access to see the data
that the program has recorded)