Configuration Library

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu Nov 3 19:41:27 GMT 2005

On Thursday 03 November 2005 20:27, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 November 2005 10:44, Vinay Khaitan wrote:
> > registerOption(QObject* instance, QString key, void* function)
>
> Non-type-safe function pointers are really not appealing to me.

Not even to your, David's, secret desire to be an IBM 704 systems programmer
[1] ?

> Anyhow the idea seems broken to me. No support for options that depend
> on each other, so for every option callback being activated we'd set up
> everything in a way, and then another callback is called and we set up
> things differently; and relayout/update everything - where we could have
> done the right thing in the first place.

As an investigative project, one might look into describing the options that
are available in some other language and _generating_ code to deal with the
options. Oh, gosh, we have kconfigXT for that to some extent. It doesn't do
layout and it doesn't do interdependence, but a language like CML2 (the Linux
kernel config language) _does_ support predicates over options for indicating
interdependence. Adding that (kind of) support would make it quite a bit
easier to describe invariants on configuration data.

Pardon my formal methods :)

[ade]

[1] http://www.iwriteiam.nl/HaCAR_CDR.html  for random LISP-based
implementation ickyness. Who needs type safety, anyway.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot