RFC: Avoiding #warning (C/C++ preprocessor extension)

Mirko Boehm mirko at kde.org
Tue Nov 1 13:34:40 GMT 2005

On Monday 31 October 2005 23:15, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > I would
> > say that no release tarball should contain -Werror.  It may be useful
> > during development but it would be unnecessarily painful for release.
>
> ... so you cannot even have it in development, except if everybody would
> use the same gcc version.
Why not? It can be used as a standard during development, and removed before
the release.

On the other hand, I do not see the point. Removing annoying "unused
parameter" warnings should be a habit, no need to make the compiler barf at
the first point where it encounters it. What is wrong with letting make
finish the compile, and then removing all the warnings at once?

Forcing -Werror is too much of an annoyance, I think.

--Mirko.
--
KDE e.V.: http://ev.kde.org