Moving 3.5 development into branches/KDE/3.5

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue May 31 11:56:02 BST 2005

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>On Tuesday 31 May 2005 12:06, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>> OK, so how about dropping the idea of KDE 3.5 then?
>
>i think you'll piss off a lot of people who put effort into their apps
> for 3.5 =) i also think you'll find a number of apps doing independant
> releases because of 3.5 being called off. and i'd love to see a 3.5
> that has a lot of default settings tweaked to be more sane ... and nice
> cap off to the 3.x series.
[snip]
>then if the feature freeze for 3.5 is set for late summer, say a couple
> weeks before aKademy, then aKademy could be used as a place to learn
> about and do massive application porting.

I believe that is the best solution so far. Adding my own thoughts:

- now: a relaxed feature and message freeze for is announced
trunk/KDE/kdelibs
- now + 2 weeks: trunk/KDE/kdelibs branches off to branches/KDE/3.5 and
KDE4 takes over
- kdelibs 3.5 gets bugfixes and maybe even some features --- if backported
from KDE4

Then we do the same for kdebase and maybe some other modules (kdegames,
kdetoys?).

We should also define the release roadmap for KDE 3.5, setting the feature
and message freeze sometime in August, with a targeted release just after
aKademy (I don't think it is feasible to release it before).

After that, it's all KDE4.

Do we know when Trolltech expects to release Qt4?

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.