Moving 3.5 development into branches/KDE/3.5

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 31 07:20:06 BST 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 12:06, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> OK, so how about dropping the idea of KDE 3.5 then?

i think you'll piss off a lot of people who put effort into their apps for 3.5
=) i also think you'll find a number of apps doing independant releases
because of 3.5 being called off. and i'd love to see a 3.5 that has a lot of
default settings tweaked to be more sane ... and nice cap off to the 3.x
series.

dropping 3.5 will also annoy application developers who will end up developing
against a kdelibs that is a moving target, which is pure hell. do most of our
application developers do much in kdelibs/kdebase anyways? if we just take
those two modules over to "mandatory kde4 porting" mode along with some of
the smaller and more obvious modules (toys, utils, admin..?) there should be
enough apps to test the libraries with. getting them in solid shape with the
feature sets we want will take at  least a couple months, right? ;)

then if the feature freeze for 3.5 is set for late summer, say a couple weeks
before aKademy, then aKademy could be used as a place to learn about and do
massive application porting.

applications that wish to join in the KDE4 fruckus right away can, of course,
do so at their discretion.

yours truly, the Crazy Canuck. kisses.

--
Aaron J. Seigo