Qt4addons module?

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Mon May 30 13:12:14 BST 2005

Am Freitag, 27. Mai 2005 11:15 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> On Friday 27 May 2005 10:08, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> > This would be very useful to Qt coders. Many of them don't want to link
> > to all of KDE, but would use (and very likely also contribute to) single
> > parts. IMHO we also should advertise more what we have.
>
> Yeah, let's drop KDE and create a Qt support web page.

There are 2 arguments:
- There are people out there, esp companies but not only, who won't drop the
Windows platform. Right now they don't use KDE and it doesn't look like they
will change this if we don't change anything. Don't forget that KDE has
probably only below 1% users out of all desktop users. If someone wants to
reach as many users as possible, why would he base his app on KDE?

- KDE cannot provide all types of applications, that users want to use out
there - esp. not specialized software, e.g. with business logic. If we want a
successful desktop, we need to ease commercial software development on top of
the desktop. Of course Novell can pay developers for the creation of certain
important applications, but as you probably know - ressources are limited.

Right now we go the all or nothing approach in KDE - take it all or leave it.
The result is, that many go the "take nothing and do everything yourself"
approach. At least that is how it looks like from the outside.
As a coder I hate reimplementing things, that are already in KDE, but which I
cannot use due to circumstances.

Greetings,
eva

basysKom GmbH