Qt4addons module?

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Wed May 25 08:33:14 BST 2005

I've been working (a little) on the port of the EXR image plugin from Qt3/KDE3
to Qt4. As I understand it, Qt4 QImageIOPlugin classes don't really have any
KDE dependencies (or at least, could avoid having such dependencies pretty
easily). If we installed them to $QTDIR/plugins/imagehandler/, then they
would work for any Qt application.

That leads me to wonder if it might we be better off abstracting those parts
of kdelibs that are really Qt addons/plugins out of kdelibs, so that they
could be used independently of KDE4. The downside is that it would end up
being another dependency. The upside is that it might attract non-KDE
developers - acting as a focal point for Qt community support, and getting
more codecs/image handlers/whatever for KDE.

Thoughts?

Brad