kdereview

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon May 23 13:38:36 BST 2005

On Monday 23 May 2005 13.36, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> On Monday 23 May 2005 12:05, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

> Of course the requirements must not be harder than those of the targeted
> module, so if we don't require applications in extragear to be fully
> documented, it makes no sense to require this for kdereview. But it should
> be clear that applications are not meant to be _developed_ in kdereview.
> Bugfixed, yes, if the reviewer demands it.

The more I think about it, I don't think the requirements I outlined earlier
are too demanding for extragear to consider either.  Most of the existing
apps already fulfill it, some are far better documented than the other
modules.  Again, the apps with an active developer (or community of) tend to
manage at least some basic documentation early on.  They're also the ones
getting the PR, working hard on usability, style guide compliance, and a11y
issues, and all those other good things we like about applications.

I think I would like to see a minimum set of requirements to enter -review,
and a minimum set to graduate out of it into permanent home.  It seems to me
that we could take in an already almost version 1.0 app (or whatever number
you care to put on it) that's ready for wide release.  Then while it's there,
go about writing some documentation, cleaning up style guide issues, security
audit, finding and fixing i18n snafus (e.g., rtl issues, untranslateable
strings), tidying up icons and other "housekeeping" issues are exactly the
kind of thing that a period in -review could be all about.  These are also
just the kind of things that will turn an app that happens to use the kde
libraries, into "a KDE application" as much for extragear as for any other
module.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts