No Ruby source diffs shown in svn checkins

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sat May 21 15:33:06 BST 2005

On Saturday 21 May 2005 16:01, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Richard Dale wrote:
> >On Saturday 21 May 2005 14:45, Harri Porten wrote:
> >> What does
> >>
> >>   svn propget svn:mime-type korundum.rb
> >
> >I get:
> >
> >application/x-ruby
> >
> >So it thinks it's an executable. Could it look at the execute permission
> > in the svn, and treat it as source or not according to that? Maybe file
> > permissions aren't kept in subversion, I don't know much about it.
>
> No, the executable part is the svn:executable property. It has nothing to
> do with the MIME type.
>
> However, the MIME type of anything that isn't text/* makes Subversion
> refuse to show diffs, instead relying on binary diffs internally. So,
> just fix the MIME type for every file you see that is wrong.
The only reason I personally check ruby sources into the svn to edit them, and
record the change history. Only when ruby scripts are retrieved from the svn
and installed, are they are made executable, and until then they are editable
source code. Why is ruby different from perl .pm sources? Surely Subversion
is customisable about which mimetypes/file extensions are considered to be
editable text?

-- Richard