KDE 4 namespaces

Michael Buesch mbuesch at freenet.de
Mon May 9 21:48:00 BST 2005

Quoting Ilkka Hakkari <derega at hollowshell.net>:
> One thing is the most important: consistency. Now there are way too many
> naming conventions in KDE libraries. It took me almost a week to figure how
> to use KMDI.

Oh, well.
"You, one week" vs. "Me, one day"
I do _not_ want say that you are bad, or I am good. I do only want
to say that I don't agree with you when you say KMDI is some kind of
inconsistent or hard to learn. Actually, I think making even more use
of namespaces makes it only harder.

In General, I would prefer to _not_ using namespaces in the core
and ui libs. Namespaces are fine for other libs like KIO or so, but
IMHO not for the core. It is too much pain to type. We already
have a good namespace in the core and ui libs. It's the K prefix.
That's perfect. Who in the world uses K prefix? I can only remember
KDE and the kernel doing so. KDE uses uppercase K and kernel uses
lowercase K. I see absolutely no problems with the existing APIs
in the core and ui.

Please don't waste developer-time with pointless "cleanups".

--
Regards Michael Buesch  [ http://www.tuxsoft.de.vu ]