CVS is going to be readonly this afternoon

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon May 2 18:42:58 BST 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 12:09:19PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> To my standards the subversion conversion is good enough now

not to mine, but well ... thanks for everyone's patience, anyway. :}

a (long) note about atomic commits (yes, it is part of the cvs welcome
mail, but obviously some people can't read or it is just not written in
big enough letters ;}):
cvs2svn probably merged many of the "commit storms" done by several
translators, so this dark chapter of cvs history is just erased (not
from the mail archive, but who cares). anyway, once we have svn, new
mess-ups won't be fixable anymore. for me that means, that i will either
visit every delinquent personally or hire a hitman for him. ;)
why i care? because my mail filter sucks. ;) no, seriously, there are
several reasons. my favourite one is, that i don't want to arrive at
revision 1000000 too soon (we're at ~450000 now, iirc) - see, big
numbers are harder to handle for humans. also, every commit grows the
repo and costs other resources. oh, well. anyway, enough was written
about this topic already; search the web.
what you can do? a) if you use a translation tool, don't click on every
file separately, but mark them all and commit at once and b) if you use
a script, use xargs instead of calling svn in a loop.