SVN branches (Re: SVN timing)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Mar 31 16:37:37 BST 2005

David Faure wrote:
>On Thursday 31 March 2005 16:28, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>> Or have /branches/work/ where eveveryone is free to
>> add his appname/ and remove it when it's empty.
>
>Sounds good - although: I don't see when it would become empty, people
> don't delete branches...

That's because you can't do that in CVS.
(Or can you?)

People have now to learn that working branches in Subversion are
*supposed* to be deleted. You create a branch to work on something for a
limited time. When that time is past and you have merged the features,
you delete the branch.

The history isn't lost because you can always retrieve deleted things.

This means branching isn't forking.

>Let's not forget that there are other official branches than the KDE
> ones: e.g. there's koffice, valgrind, arts, etc.

About valgrind: they have a Subversion server running already. Are they
still using the KDE repository at all?

>So we could have:
>/branches/work/kate/wordwrap

or /branches/work/kate-wordwrap
but not /branches/work/make-it-cool

>/branches/kde/3.1
>/branches/koffice/1.3
>/branches/valgrind/1.2
>etc.
>
>This way we don't have a strange "low caps only" rule, we have an easier
> to understand rule: /branches/work are experimental work branches
> (where everyone can put his mess), the other ones are "official"
> branches (for bugfix releases), with ACLs.

I prefer it this way.

>> I have actually no idea what the status of the ACL scripts are. But
>> due to the full load of volunteers we had, I'm sure one of it has it
>> finished already.
>
>Irony, right? :(

The ACL script is the Subversion one, unchanged. I wrote the script to
transform the current ACL file into the new format. I know I tested it,
but it's now been so long I don't remember if there were any issues left.

I sent it all to Dirk and I don't remember him reporting any problems with
them.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.