SVN branches (Re: SVN timing)

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Thu Mar 31 15:28:22 BST 2005

Am Donnerstag 31 März 2005 15:51 schrieb David Faure:
> On Thursday 31 March 2005 15:36, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > > 2) /work/work-branch vs /branches/work/work-branch
> > > vs /branches/appname/work-branch
> > For branches I agree. We have 155 branches without unlabeled ones. That's already
> > a lot and they are pretty hard to overview. But if you add /branches/appname you're
> > not easing to find a branch. So I would split /branches into /branches/work and
> > /branches/maintaince - this should split the list of branches enough and I can script
> > it very easily to move the branches after the import.
>
> Well, IMHO given the experimental branch names often look like "make_it_cool"
> (you invented that one IIRC :) or "wordwrap" etc., it would be a good idea to
> have /branches/appname/thebranchname (this is what work-branch is, right?)
Then make appname being small caps mandatory and have one KDE/ or MAINT/ where we
put the release branches? Or have /branches/work/ where eveveryone is free to
add his appname/ and remove it when it's empty.

> The appname part is completely free-form, right? We could have /branches/kdepim/proko2
> as well as /branches/kio/make_it_cool or /branches/kate/wordwrap, right?
>
> > But so far this whole layout discussion is between you and me. No-one else seems
> > to have an oppinion about it ;(
>
> Well, this is simply due to lack of experience with SVN :(
> I'm using svn now in a commercial project (and I certainly like it!), but
> without branches or even tags yet...
psst! we come to tags later ;)

> > 5) to migrate CVSROOT and delete it afterwards or ignore it? The history of it
> > is part of the history of KDE's cvs so it's a bad sad, but of course it doesn't serve
> > any good.
>
> You are too nostalgic :)

> BTW, does the conversion include the ACLs?
We can tell anyone it does and hope no-one is going to try ;)
I have actually no idea what the status of the ACL scripts are. But due to the full load of
volunteers we had, I'm sure one of it has it finished already.

Greetings, Stephan