SVN branches (Re: SVN timing)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Mar 31 14:51:01 BST 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 15:36, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > 2) /work/work-branch vs /branches/work/work-branch
> > vs /branches/appname/work-branch
> For branches I agree. We have 155 branches without unlabeled ones. That's already
> a lot and they are pretty hard to overview. But if you add /branches/appname you're
> not easing to find a branch. So I would split /branches into /branches/work and
> /branches/maintaince - this should split the list of branches enough and I can script
> it very easily to move the branches after the import.

Well, IMHO given the experimental branch names often look like "make_it_cool"
(you invented that one IIRC :) or "wordwrap" etc., it would be a good idea to
have /branches/appname/thebranchname (this is what work-branch is, right?)

The appname part is completely free-form, right? We could have /branches/kdepim/proko2
as well as /branches/kio/make_it_cool or /branches/kate/wordwrap, right?

> But so far this whole layout discussion is between you and me. No-one else seems
> to have an oppinion about it ;(

Well, this is simply due to lack of experience with SVN :(
I'm using svn now in a commercial project (and I certainly like it!), but
without branches or even tags yet...

> 5) to migrate CVSROOT and delete it afterwards or ignore it? The history of it
> is part of the history of KDE's cvs so it's a bad sad, but of course it doesn't serve
> any good.

You are too nostalgic :)

BTW, does the conversion include the ACLs?