Need help with serious kssl problem

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sat Mar 19 15:26:09 GMT 2005

On Saturday, 19. March 2005 16:01, George Staikos wrote:

>    Is the random device working?  This code hasn't changed in ages and I'm
> guessing it's either a system level problem, and improper installation, or
> a miscompilation.

In the meantime we found out that things work with an additional openssl
package installed, 0.9.7e. Since it's installed into the same prefix as KDE,
it's even preferred by klibloader and, after a relogin, things work again. It
does indeed look like that the base system openssl shipped in FreeBSD 4.11
and FreeBSD 5.3 is different, although it's supposedly both 0.9.7d.

What's funny is that with the same base system openssl, on the same machine,
kmail 1.7 from KDE 3.3.2 works just fine, I've installed and deinstalled
3.3.2 and 3.4.0 a few times to check, so I'm still as confused as before
regarding the actual cause of the error.

Can you perhaps guess/explain what is actually failing? If I understood what's
going wrong in openssl, I could start looking there.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org