KDE3.4RC1: Incompatibility

Richard Moore richmoore44 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 23:16:26 GMT 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:52:21 +0100, Scott Wheeler <wheeler at kde.org> wrote:
> Great.  I'll go get a martini while you and Bero start ripping out all of our
> libc dependencies.  ;-)

We don't use it directly in that many places at the moment.

> And if we're really being honest, that's a great reason for not using C++ too,
> but instead using a language that doesn't allow unchecked access, but we
> haven't started rewriting KDE in one of those languages for pragmatic
> reasons.

Sure, but there's a balance to be had. If you centrally wrap dangerous
parts of the system APIs in code that is safer, you only have to fix
the problems in one place.

That said, let's just memcpy and mmap the screen - that way our GUI
will really fast... ;-)

Cheers

Rich.