(gcc 2.95 support) kdeextragear-1/amarok/src

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu Mar 10 22:13:38 GMT 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 20:50, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Thursday 10 March 2005 14:27, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > Oh, if you're moaning about having to support gcc 2.95, be glad that KDE
> > doesn't officially support any of the other C++ compilers out there,
> > which are even more picky.
>
> I don't see a problem with supporting gcc 2.95 - as long as there is
> somebody caring about it. Its the same with newer / non-gcc compilers -
> somebody capable has to be there that does the testing and the fixing.
> There's nothing further to discuss. If there is nobody left, then it will
> be broken at some point.

At issue here is where the maintainer's (here, the amarok guys ) loathing of
gcc 2.95 takes precedence over our 'policy' of supporting gcc 2.95. As you
may know, I do lots of gcc 2.95 compatibility fixes, just like your (Dirk's)
bleeding-edge fixes. Gcc 2.95 means that developers can't use useful new
features; Thiago has pointed several out already. Gcc 2.95 means the amarok
devels can't write their code exactly the way (gcc 3.3 compatible) they want.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot