(gcc 2.95 support) kdeextragear-1/amarok/src

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Thu Mar 10 21:52:14 GMT 2005

On Thursday, 10. March 2005 19:43, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> FreeBSD worries me, though. Is STABLE getting updates as well? Or, asked
> in another way, will KDE 4 make it into FreeBSD 4.x?

It entirely depends on KDE really, and in the case of extragear applications,
on the developers of those.

If KDE (or Max for amarok) says "KDE 4.0 (or amarok 1.3) supports gcc 3.2 and
newer" and stuff breaks on gcc 2.95 and the fix we can come up with for
FreeBSD 4 is rejected by the maintainer of the respective code, then that
part of KDE will not make it into FreeBSD 4.

As long as FreeBSD 4 is officially supported by the FreeBSD project however,
we will keep trying to get KDE (including stuff in kdeextragear-*) compiling
and working on it and merge the required changes into the upstream sources.

And since KDE 4.0 is scheduled to be released quite a bit earlier than January
2007 we will have to try and make it work there, too (although, quite
frankly, I loathe dealing with FreeBSD 4's obsolete compiler and lack of
modern POSIX compliance very much and personally wouldn't mind one bit if
something very fundamental in kdelibs would break very early in KDE 4.0's
development and gcc 2.95 fixes, if we can come up with some, would be
rejected).

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org