KDE 3.4: Control Center scrollbars

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 1 21:43:18 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 02:27, Unai Garro wrote:
> >looking at the code (haven't applied it yet) it doesn't seem to resize
> >continuously, but to grow only if necessary.
>
> Yes, it's a half-way of what I defined as a bad design. But notice that the
> window may require resizing not only when you change from background
> settings to style settings. As soon as you check on a checkbox, click on a
> button, change tabs, choose from a combobox, the window may require
> resizing.

i don't think so.. the patch seems to affect DockContainer::dockModule which
is only called once per module when it's first shown. again, i haven't played
with this yet, but it seems to be a one-time adjustment only.

moreover, tab widgets to pre-size to the contents on the larges tab. and
clicking on elements in a dialog shouldn't change the size of the contents,
by showing previously hidden elements, for instance.

i know of one control panel in kcontrol off the top of my head that violates
this rule, and it probably could use some love in any case. but generally we
hold to this quite well.

> >and unlike kmail, kcontrol usually
> >sn't an app you have sitting there for hours of usage.
>
>  It was just an example because I'm afraid that other apps would copy this
> method, if found in kdebase applications.

yes, this would be bad. fortunately kcontrol is a rather special beast and
people should be flogged for copying it =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo