[RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jun 28 16:14:41 BST 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 06:17, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Kio-system: itself is an implementation (detail) forcing the user to
> browse that means you just replaced one forced hierarchy with another.
> While you may have a better default or whatever; this is ultimately not
> the way to go.  I have no problem with a system kio slave at all; but the
> user should never see the URLs that are used to access it.

well, not all users are completely braindead ;) but the point isn't to have
urls for the user to type, but an icon or three that the user can use as
starting pionts which present the system in a sane fashion. one on the panel,
one in the file dialog sidebar ,maybe one on the desktop.

but it needs to be kept sane otherwise the hierarchy becomes inneficient. i'm
very hestitant to put applications, printing and settings there for this
reason.

> For my
> convenience I'll point to searching again as a smarter way to access
> this.

agreed =)

> I would love to see kio-home implement all sorts of paths that make
> navigation easier by hiding implementation of (for example) search.

as long as "all sorts of paths" means "less than too many paths" i'm in
agreement ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo