[RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...

Kévin Ottens ervin at ipsquad.net
Tue Jun 28 13:58:35 BST 2005

Le Mardi 28 Juin 2005 14:17, vous avez écrit :
> I agree that the unixian file hierarchy is not the best way to work for
> many people and with searching and other ways to find locate it can
> indeed be used less.
> But please remember that all of us currently depend on our files/subdirs
> under our homedirs and all that stuff unixian _inside_ the homedir
> itself.
> That should never be removed, only deprecated.

I never said that I wanted to remove anything. I just want to provide another
sensible way to browse your files as a desktop user.

> Wait;
> you are actually making the exact same mistake you are trying to replace,
> if I understand your statements here correctly.
> Kio-system: itself is an implementation (detail) forcing the user to
> browse that means you just replaced one forced hierarchy with another.

I disagree here... I don't consider myself as making the exact same mistake
(but it could easily happen of course, if the system:/ hierarchy becomes too
complicated and presents items not relevant for a desktop user).

Yes, I'm "replacing" (note the " because I removed nothing) on hierarchy with
another, but one has /var, /usr, /boot (system stuff) whereas the other one
try to display stuff you use when you act as a desktop user.

I'm not trying to hide the hierarchy concept, I'm trying to obtain a sensible
hierarchy for a desktop user... that's not the same work.

> While you may have a better default or whatever; this is ultimately not
> the way to go.  I have no problem with a system kio slave at all; but the
> user should never see the URLs that are used to access it.  For my
> convenience I'll point to searching again as a smarter way to access
> this.  There may be others, naturally.

Yes, but it's a longer term goal... Tenor for example is trying to address
this. That's not what I'm trying to do right now.

And let's face it, you can't do everything using search for example, you'll
ultimately need something to access your data and it'll surely be a
hierarchy.

> I would love to see kio-home implement all sorts of paths that make
> navigation easier by hiding implementation of (for example) search.
> I have a huge problem with it becoming visible for the user in any way at
> all. As soon as a gui exists that facilitates searching, which uses
> kio-slaves as a back-end, this is something that I feel we can introduce
> to our users.

Of course, we'll have to introduce it. :-)

> Not a non-intuitive url which just force the user to learn one
> more thing.

The user don't really care of the URL form, except if it's really complicated.
I doubt that system:/ is complicated, it looks straight-forward IMHO.

> Please keep up your great work, I like at least some of the ideas you
> pose!

Thanks. ;-)

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."