[RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Jun 26 13:35:25 BST 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 13:21, Kévin Ottens wrote:
> > This should be made an fd.o recommendation, and "X-KDE" removed. We should
> > have two profiles: basic and kde. "basic" would be simple network
> > protocols, like ftp, http, https and file (I'm not sure if we can include
> > smb, sftp and fish). "kde" would stand for the whole kde set of ioslaves.
>
> Sound reasonable... I introduced X-KDE-Protocols with David because we thought
> it was a bit early tu push this toward fd.o. OTOH we didn't think it this
> way, maybe a recommendation would make sense this way.
>
> David? Any opinion?

"basic" is too vague a notion. xmms supports only http, whereas gimp
might support http, ftp, and smb, or whatever. The only things that are well-defined
at this point are an explicit list of protocols, or "kde".
"gvfs" would be well-defined, but we would need some code to find out which protocols
it supports (at runtime), which we don't have yet.