[RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...

Kévin Ottens ervin at ipsquad.net
Sun Jun 26 12:21:26 BST 2005

Le Dimanche 26 Juin 2005 01:11, Thiago Macieira a écrit :
> I agree with that. Users don't have to understand the filesystem
> hierarchy. It's a detail.

Ok, at least I'm not alone to think this. I'm more confident that this is not
nonsense. =)

> This should be made an fd.o recommendation, and "X-KDE" removed. We should
> have two profiles: basic and kde. "basic" would be simple network
> protocols, like ftp, http, https and file (I'm not sure if we can include
> smb, sftp and fish). "kde" would stand for the whole kde set of ioslaves.

Sound reasonable... I introduced X-KDE-Protocols with David because we thought
it was a bit early tu push this toward fd.o. OTOH we didn't think it this
way, maybe a recommendation would make sense this way.

David? Any opinion?

> Desktop files with missing or unknown entries would default to "basic".
> That way, we can work right now with non-KDE apps.

That would make sense...

> There's another problem: KDE apps that don't use KDE 3.4 or 3.5 (for
> instance, amaroK). They've added a hack by calling dcop to work
> "mostLocalURL" on themselves.

I'm not aware of this, I'll look into it.

> Maybe with KDE4, if we define a set of KIO-like calls over DBus and a
> workable wire protocol. Maybe then VFS will be standardised.

Looks like it'll raise issues if you have several implementations for the same
protocols... For example what will happen if you have gnome-vfs installed and
ioslaves?
Ok, I'm almost off-topic now... it's a long term debate.

> I'd say d: replace it now in trunk in key places and let people test for a
> few weeks, but be prepared to revert it before the release/freeze, if
> required.

Ok, I'll wait a bit to collect more opinions and will apply your solution if
nothing better comes out.

Cheers.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."