CTRL+Y as shortcut for redo

André Wöbbeking Woebbeking at onlinehome.de
Sat Jun 25 11:03:43 BST 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 15:57, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> Hi,
>
> right now all keyboard schemes use CTRL+SHIFT+Z as shortcut for redo
> but the standard seems to be CTRL+Y (I looked at Windows, OpenOffice,
> Gimp and even Qt uses it). So could the shortcut be changed in KDE's
> schemes?

I'm also used to CTRL+SHIFT+Z and I like it but if CTRL+Y is the
"standard" shortcut we should consider using it at least as second
shortcut. I don't know Gnome (only GIMP which uses CTRL+Y) and I don't
know Mac.

I attached a patch which fixes some kdeui widgets to use KStdAccel. So
we've
- CTRL+SHIFT+Z for redo AND
- CTRL+A for select all
in the RMB menus.

Some people wrote that they don't like CTRL+Y for redo as it would
"steal" one free shortcut. This is not true as Qt already uses CTRL+Y.

Some apps (i.e. KMail) use the deprecated KEdit which even hardcode
CTRL+Y to copy (yank) and CTRL+K to cut (kill) but display CTRL+Y for
redo what is definitely a bug.

Cheers,
André