CTRL+Y as shortcut for redo

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Fri Jun 24 19:21:57 BST 2005

Anders Lund said the following, On 2005-06-24 19:26:

> On Friday 24 June 2005 11:37, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>
>>- many newer win32 MS apps use CTRL+Y...
>
> So because c-y is used on a platform we don't support we minimize the
> available keys for application usage, and takes a step away from logic... or
> is it really so hard to grasp the idea of the shift key? or is it because it
> is so hard to hit 3 keys?

I am not sure the question is for me :) Are you questioning KDE's idea of
configurability and fair defaults for win32-like, mac-like and unix-like profiles?

And your statements are mostly wrong:
1. KDElibs are protable to win32, so there's is a 'support'

2. I can say it again: Since KDE has predefined settings for win32-like
profile too, so user choosing it (at first KDE's startup) expects standard
win32 shortcuts to work. André informed us that the default is now changing in
more and more apps around, so IMHO our win32-like profile can follow. Whether
our global default for 'redo' should change is a matter of usability tests.
Perhaps we can keep both shortcuts, as AFAIK it is the case with ctrl+V and
shift+Insert.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska / Kexi Team