Offline / Online beoynd PIM

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jun 24 11:40:17 BST 2005

Matt Douhan wrote:
>We are currently in the process of making PIM "network aware", things
> like the following are on my mind.
[snip]
>Is anyone else thinking along the same ways? if so let us try and join
> up and create something that works across the desktop.
>
>What do you think?

We've had a similar discussion a while ago, when discussing the next
generation of kioslaves. I don't remember if we discussed it here or in a
bug report...

In any event, if I remember correctly, the results were that we'd have a
module in kded resposible for brokering the ioslave calls. And we'd also
dispatch DCOP events notifying applications of the online-offline state.
That way, apps could do stuff before disconnecting, after connecting,
after disconnecting, etc.

Kppp would participate because it would act upon the requests to
disconnect, and actually disconnect. Or show the dialog to connect.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."