What is a KDE app (was Re: Image viewer for KDE4 (Re: KView for KDE4?))

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Thu Jun 23 20:55:23 BST 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 21:38, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 23 June 2005 11:09, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 June 2005 18:40, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > On Thursday 23 June 2005 05:33, Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > > are there any other specific reasons for doing KEG releases in tandem
> > > with KDE releases?
> >
> > The problem of releasing with KDE is that translators cannot improve the
> > translation due to lack of time.
>
> just to be clear for my poor easily-confused little mind ;)

Mainly what I wanted to tell is that a nice software packages without
translation is not as good. ;-)

Of course, one may consider that as soon as a KEG application is in stable, it
will get nice translations, especially until its own release, so that when
there is a global KEG package, there will be translations.

But if there are nice global KEG packages, there will be the temptation to
release a KEG app with the global KEG package, not leaving extra time for
translators.

> you are saying
> that it would better if the KEG releases were NOT released along with KDE?
> and that it would better if KEG releases were staggered between KDE
> releases?

> so something like:
>
> Week 0: KDE x.y.0 released
> Week 6: KDE x.y.1 released
> Week 16: KEG x.y.0 released
> Week 22: KDE x.y.2 released
> Week 32: KEG x.y.1 released
> Week 38: KDE x.(y+1).0 released
> Week 44: KDE x.(y+1).1 released
> Week 54: Keg x.(y+1).0 released

> note that i've assumed some sort of version number harmony here so that
> users can say "oh, if i have KEG x.y i need at least KDE x.y"...

Sure I can understand. It has its advantage too.

> the week
> 54 release in the above could just as easily be KEG x.y.3 if there was no
> dep on KDE x.(y+1) ... or perhaps there's some other more sane way of doing
> the version numbering, i'm not release management guru (he says, glancing
> over at coolo, waldo, david and binner ;)

Well, having released KOffice, I would say that release plans are not always
the easiest. ;-)

Have a nice day!