What is a KDE app (was Re: Image viewer for KDE4 (Re: KView for KDE4?))

Bram Schoenmakers bramschoenmakers at kde.nl
Thu Jun 23 00:35:02 BST 2005

Cristian Tibirna, you wrote something like this:

> This is IMHO a dangerous trend, if it really exists. We can't just state
> this situation, we need to do something to fix it. Some of the apps in
> extragear are the best of their kind in Linux realm (and sometimes in whole
> free computing, windows and macosx included). We have to find a way to
> correct this view. Promotion? Mentions in all KDE releases? Extragear
> releases (even for separate apps) with high energy announcements, à la
> KOffice?
>
> What do you think?

Extragear releases are out of the question. One of the reasons to be in
extragear is having your own release schedules. You can't release an
extragear module with >50% of the apps in high development.

I like the promotion part though. Maybe it's an idea to wrap up a Dot article
each months with the latest KDE software releases (extragear, or maybe even
some popular applications on http://www.kde-apps.org).

Kind regards,

--
Bram Schoenmakers