What is a KDE app (was Re: Image viewer for KDE4 (Re: KView for KDE4?))

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Fri Jun 3 13:27:41 BST 2005

On 3 June 2005 04:47, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> (some people don't even consider extragear apps
> to be "real" KDE, e.g. #93611 got reopened only because the person didn't
> feel like installing something more than just KDE).

This is IMHO a dangerous trend, if it really exists. We can't just state this
situation, we need to do something to fix it. Some of the apps in extragear
are the best of their kind in Linux realm (and sometimes in whole free
computing, windows and macosx included). We have to find a way to correct
this view. Promotion? Mentions in all KDE releases? Extragear releases (even
for separate apps) with high energy announcements, à la KOffice?

What do you think?

P.S.: of course, I always come back at my position: "KDE" should be
kdelibs+kdebase and _all_ the  rest should be the "KDE applications
collection", with more or less independent releases etc. (already koffice and
kdepim are aligned to this path).

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org