Icon parameters in *.desktop files

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jun 22 18:58:44 BST 2005

Hans Meine wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 June 2005 13:26, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>But, if this is considered to be a problem, it would also be possible to
>>add an additional key.  For example:
>>
>> Icon=kate
>> GenericIcons=editor,text-editor
>

> I like this latter approach.  Clearly marking generic icons as such looks like
> an advantage to me.
>
> I am sure there will be people screaming: "Why do all my applications have the
> same icon, how should I distinguish them?"  But if I understood your proposal
> correctly (you could try to make that part clearer), a generic icon would
> only be used if the specific icon is not available in *any* theme, right?

This question should be given some thought.  I would prefer your
proposal, but I think that others would prefer that the icon loader look
for all the possibilities in the selected theme before looking in an
inherited theme.  This is actually an implementation question -- it
could even be configurable -- it doesn't affect the standard for the
'desktop' file.

--
JRT