Icon parameters in *.desktop files

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed Jun 22 14:17:35 BST 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 13:26, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> But, if this is considered to be a problem, it would also be possible to
> add an additional key.  For example:
>
>  Icon=kate
>  GenericIcons=editor,text-editor

I like this latter approach.  Clearly marking generic icons as such looks like
an advantage to me.

I am sure there will be people screaming: "Why do all my applications have the
same icon, how should I distinguish them?"  But if I understood your proposal
correctly (you could try to make that part clearer), a generic icon would
only be used if the specific icon is not available in *any* theme, right?
Additionally, the application loading the icon could see that it's a generic
one and act accordingly (i.e. provide additional clues like text, ...).

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS