KDE 3.5 release plan.

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Wed Jun 22 10:51:23 BST 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 18:15, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le Mardi 21 Juin 2005 10:35, Nicolas Goutte a écrit :
> > On Tuesday 21 June 2005 09:56, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> >
> > I am wondering how much useful this can be useful if most of the
> > developers are porting KDE to Qt4.
> >
> > Personally I find it a wrong timepoint, as I would not be able to do the
> > changes I would like to KBabel in such a short feature freeze period.
>
> That was only my opinion.
>
> But i strongly believe we should decide it now.
>
> > It depends what KDE 3.5 is meant to be. If it is the version to be
> > released until KDE4 is ready, then the above schedule is much too short.
>
> why?
> the sooner KDE 3.5 is released, the sooner KDE 4 is released.    no?

KDE 4 will be a 2 year effort or so. So the "gap" between KDE 3.4 and KDE 4
must be filled carefully.

Currently there is still developement done for KDE 3.5, so personally I do not
think that it is need to shorten that development. KDE 3.5 can as well be
released when the developement for KDE 3.5 will decrease on its own.

Also personally I would like a late KDE 3.5 also for the reason that the
KBabel of KDE 3.5 will probably be the translation tool for KDE4. So at least
KBabel needs SVN support. However I cannot guarantee to have added SVN
support at mid-July.

> If everyone is working on KDE4, there is no reason why push KDE 3.5 later.
> is it ?
>
> > > And I hope in September, kdelibs will be advanced enough.
> >
> > Have a nice day!

Have a nice day!