cygwin-patches for kde 3.4.1

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jun 17 13:35:08 BST 2005

On Friday 17 June 2005 14:18, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> The patch is correct. If you use libkdecore stuff in your program (say,
> KURL), you should add explicitly -lkdecore to your link libraries.
> (Whether it is -lkdecore or $(LIB_KDECORE) is irrelevant)

Well if you use KIO, which obviously uses KURL too, you shouldn't have to mention kdecore
explicitely. We have cleaned up Makefile.ams everywhere to only list the highest level
dependency, no point in a 10-km-long lib list.

> libtool will add the dependency libraries if and only if the .la file is
> present. IIUC, the Cygwin people aren't using them. And we're talking
> about replacing libtool in the build-system thread, which means .la would
> be gone.

If we ever drop libtool, we can simply make $(LIB_KIO) include -lkio -lkdeui -lkdecore.
Still no reason to bloat the Makefile.am.

> That's not a problem with ELF because it is forgiving and will load the
> libraries. But Win32's COFF PE file format (or, at least, Cygwin' s
> implementation of it) is braindamaged and requires explicit listing of
> ALL libraries, including kernel32, gdi32, commctrl, etc. that KDE will
> never have it its Makefiles.

That's still something the build system can do for you. The point is to
make things easy for the developer, especially when it's as easy as
patching acinclude.m4.in once and for all.