cygwin-patches for kde 3.4.1

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jun 17 13:18:55 BST 2005

Stephan Kulow wrote:
>Am Donnerstag 16 Juni 2005 21:48 schrieb David Faure:
>> On Thursday 16 June 2005 21:30, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>> > -kickermenu_kdeprint_la_LIBADD = $(LIB_KDEUI) $(LIB_KIO) -lkdeprint
>> > +kickermenu_kdeprint_la_LIBADD = $(LIB_KDEUI) $(LIB_KIO) -lkdeprint
>> > $(LIB_KDECORE)
>>
>> (and many similar lib additions).
>> Why? LIB_KDEUI is supposed to include LIB_KDECORE indirectly, i.e.
>> LIB_KDECORE isn't supposed to be needed in that line.
>> If it needs to be included explicitely on your system, why not change
>> the definition of LIB_KDEUI to include LIB_KDECORE? Otherwise you'll
>> have to fix each and every Makefile.am in KDE, which is a waste of
>> time ;)
>
>Not just that: it should be fixed in libtool

I don't agree either way.

The patch is correct. If you use libkdecore stuff in your program (say,
KURL), you should add explicitly -lkdecore to your link libraries.
(Whether it is -lkdecore or $(LIB_KDECORE) is irrelevant)

libtool will add the dependency libraries if and only if the .la file is
present. IIUC, the Cygwin people aren't using them. And we're talking
about replacing libtool in the build-system thread, which means .la would
be gone.

That's not a problem with ELF because it is forgiving and will load the
libraries. But Win32's COFF PE file format (or, at least, Cygwin' s
implementation of it) is braindamaged and requires explicit listing of
ALL libraries, including kernel32, gdi32, commctrl, etc. that KDE will
never have it its Makefiles.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.