Build system for KDE4

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 15 01:08:06 BST 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 14:27, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 09:28, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Am Montag 13 Juni 2005 20:07 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> > > Ok, here my take on cmake. I'm no expert in linking issues, so I can't
> > > comment on everything.
> >
> > Call me stubborn, but I won't touch cmake syntax.
>
> Probably because the commands are all upper case and it has a feature
> called "macro" and macros are evil in C++ ?
> Honestly, if you'd have any valid argument it would be ok, but just stating
> that you don't like the look is no real argument.

Well, but it is.  Now I'm hardly one to say that Python is the best syntax in
the world (because it's not), but although 'look' isn't the end-all-be-all, I
would hope that it would be a factor.  Now that so many people are accustomed
to Netiquette it seems odd to use a build system WHERE EVERYTHING IS
UPPERCASED LIKE A 1968 IBM MAINFRAME. ;)

Of course if something nicer looking didn't have a feature we'd need then we
wouldn't have a choice, but I think that if we're making the switch we might
as well have our cake and eat it too.

> Now seriously, there can be no "complete solution" which supports building
> KDE 3 (4) out of the box (except unsermake which was written for exactly
> this purpose). You can't expect that a buildsystem without special
> adaptation for KDE knows how to handle e.g. a foo.kcfgc.

Well I don't think that we can seriously expect to pick a system that needs no
adaptation.  And from what I can tell we'll probably have to replace autoconf
ourselves.  But I wouldn't worry about a build system not supporting
KDE-specific things like .kcfgc as long as it can be easily added by us.

> > And if I can pick incomplete solutions, I will avoid the ones
> > with the uglier syntax.
>
> Ugliness is a matter of taste.
Fair enough.  But I think most would agree that all uppercase isn't exactly
the easiest on the eyes.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne